Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Can We Get A Holding Call?

Two holds.  One play.
This whole post is an aside... The defense has been embattled this year.  I understand the frustration of the fans.  But let's get real.  The Ships have lost 3 games.  The offense lost the first one.  Everyone lost the second one.  And the defense lost the third one.  And when you look at the tape, the defense actually looks pretty good, when they tackle.  But they also haven't been getting any help from the officials.  I know, I know - "you can call a hold on every play."  Yes.  You can.  But when it is this bad, and the holding allows the offense to score touchdowns, the penalties need to be called.  For example, the above pic was on a 3rd and long on the 1st series - South converted it thanks to a deep pass.  Well, if holding is called, that isn't a conversion, and they don't go on to score.  And that wasn't the only one...




Look familiar?  This one is on 3rd and long on the next drive.  Same thing, same result.

This is on a second and long later in that drive.

This was a touchdown run.  I'm not sure what Chris is supposed to do when he's grabbed from behind like that.  I mean, he's got the tackle for a 1 yard gain otherwise.  

I'm not making excuses.  But I look at these photos every week, and every week I see at least 6 or 7 obvious holds that impact the trajectory of the game that aren't called.  Every week the coaches talk to the refs about the holding.  Nothing changes.  Grrrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment