Saturday, September 10, 2011

Staying in His Lane

I'm definitely not as smart as I think I am.  And I'm constantly reminded of this.  To wit: until tonight, I could not understand why they kept having Austin "the Bear" Bown crash into the B gap every single play.  I mean, the Bear gets his honey from the quarterback, and taking on two blockers every play doesn't usually allow him much honey.  But after seeing five sacks by the Ships defense in the first half, and watching how four of them were directly caused by Austin taking up two blockers, which left the blitzing LBer (Jared or Zach) completely free to eat meat, "I totally get it now" (phrase copyrighted by my sister Ed).  That's great teamwork, and a pretty good scheme.  Well played, Bongo Bongle.  Well played.

Not a block in the back.
Two blockers?  Check.  Forcing the quarterback backwards and out of the pocket?  Check.  Sack Attack Zach get the glory because of the pressure and he wasn't blocked?  Check.
Yep, there was a theme last night.  Good work, Austin.  How bout a high five?
I said "High Five."  That's just weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment